Send As SMS

« Home | the cat ate my research (!!) » | Il n'y a qu'un mois qui reste (Only one month rema... » | et si la lune ne revient pas? » | LGBT Film Fest & Pride Wrapup » | On Surveys/Why I love Mauritius (in spite of my fr... » | midweek updates » | Press Release for Rainbow Pride Mauritius 2007 » | On ChouChou, and other vegetables » | More Photos from the Intl. AIDS Candelight Vigil » | updates from May »

parting is such sweet sorrow

Since parting is such sweet sorrow, I decided to say goodbye to the friends I've made here in Mauritius not once but on three separate occassions. On Saturday June 14th, my house was site of first in a series of goodybe parties: une soireee d'au revoir gaie. About 20 gay and lesbian friends from the Collectif Arc en Ciel were in attendance, and we danced the evening away. My ambition going into the evening was to have the island's first house party for homos, and in that respect as well as others it was truly a success. Of my vingtaine esteemed guests, no less than 5 had to be put to bed by friends, and i count myself among them. Thanks to the 6 shots of sambuca flambee that I downed over the course of the evening, most of the party's happenings had to be recounted to me the following day. However, according to all who attended, the party was one of the most enjoyable that they had ever been to.

In a rare triumph of efficient multi-tasking (and inspite of a raging hangover), the day after the party I managed to wake up early and conduct focus groups with 20 Chinese garment workers. Of course that is a gross exaggeration-- my chinese comprehension has declined to such a pitiable state that i reguarly say nihao with the wrong tones. However, I was luckly enough to have the language support from a Chinese-speaking French woman who moved to L'Ile Maurice to be with her husband, a Hindu Mauritian doctor whom she met while doing studies in Beijing.

Goodbye party number two happened this past Thursday. To show my appreciation for their generosity, I treated my entire office to a goodbye lunch featuring all of their favorite things to eat. I presented them with cards as well as a photo album containing pictures from the whole of my senjour a Maurice, including photos from the weddings of two staffers. Suffice it to say, the gift was very well received. The on Saturday 21 July, I had a repeat visit with my workmates from Straconsult. The whole group of them came to my house to join the rest of my Mauritian friends in sending me off at a soriee d'adieu, potluck style. Among the more exciting dishes were soy fish curry (soy is to say fake veg fish), gateaux piment curry, and vegetarian fish prepared with greens stuffed with dahl flour and tamarind, served in a spicy and fragrant tomato sauce.

Sunday was dedicated to yet another goodbye get together.. this time, however, at the Belle Mare plage in the company of all the university students who aided me on my research project. In the 2 months that the group of us has been meeting daily for surveys and interviews, we have become fast friends. Thus, in spite of rainy and all around disagrerable weather, we passed a truly beautiful afternoon together, feasting on heaping plates of vegetable Biryani, dessert, and beer. After 10 straight weeks of mixed methods data collection, as well as 6 months of qualitative research, it felt wonderful celebrating the end of the project.

I summary, although my time in Mauritius has not been easy, preparing to leave has given me time to reflect on all that I have appreciated about the experience. I truly feel lucky to have had the opoprtuntiy to live in a place that is so physically stunning, sociologically unique, and other-worldy. Finalment, there are many things that I will miss, surtout mes amis.

Labels: , ,