Send As SMS

« Home | and the baby makes eight » | la fin de la semaine » | More on the perils of being a black woman in Mauri... » | Nothing like being assaulted on a Tuesday evening... » | nou pays, nou fierté » | february 16th & the walk to ganga talo » | maha shivaratree & the longest ride home ever » | in memoriam » | mauritius v.s my computer, round 3 » | kitsch goes gay »

updates from May


Chris and Mikayla, our resident married couple, returned to the U.S. two weeks ago, bringing the number of Mauritian Fulbrighters down from five to three
In the week or so leading up to their departure, there were lots of celebratory dinners and revelry. Although it was sad seeing them off, it gave us the opportunity to reflect on the experiences we've shared over the past few months, and the friends that we have made. Despite the negatives, there have been lots of adventures and lots of laughter.

In spite of all these transitions, however, my social calender of late has been full to bursting. The weekend before last, my French teacher at the Alliance Francaise invited me out for a soiree at her daughter's house in Flic en Flac. The gathering, which was attended by 40 or 50 persons, was a housewarming party (for her daughter and son in law) meets birthday party (for her sister and 1 year old granddaughter) meets going-away bash for a niece, immigrating to France. Although I've been to my fair share of Indian wedding ceremonies and engagement parties, that evening gave me my first real glimpse into the lives of Creole families. One of the things that fascinated me about the gathering was the diverse attendance. Counted among the guests were several Creole and White and Creole and Hindu couples, several interracial children, as well as expats from France and England in addition to the U.S. (lest I fail to include myself).

Over the course of the evening, guests dined on Indian Mauritian fare while discussing the French elections, and recounting their travels to Mainland Africa in English and French to accommodate non-Francophones (of which there were several). Then, following dinner we danced to a playlist that alternated between French ballads and American pop hits. All in all, it was une soiree inoubliable (an unforgettable evening).

Then this past week, I spent Thursday, Friday and Saturday out with two newfound friends.. a Mauritian ophthalmologist and a British labor lawyer. Their company has been so pleasant that I actually agreed to venture back to Kitsch (first time since LGBT night). Astonishingly, even though Kitsch did not resemble a Greenwich Village Disco, I still had a pretty good time.

Finally on Sunday, rather than spending a lazy day at home, I took a road trip around he Island with a friend of mine and his elderly parents. Ditching the Coastal roads for routes that traversed the county's interior, we traveled through a lot of hilly, verdant areas and saw some breathtaking views.

Even though Mauritius in all its grandeur stands the size of Rhode Island, it boasts an extraordinary range of temperature zones and micro-climates. Based on the landscapes I saw this afternoon, I would have guessed that I had been teleported from the middle of the Indian Ocean to the European countryside.

Finally, I ended the weekend by attending a candlelight vigil held to commemorate the lives of persons who have died of HIV/AIDS in Mauritius and around the world. The event was staged in 5 different parts of the Island. The vigil I sat it on was held at a neighboring town, and I found it to be well organized and appropriately somber, despite the fact that Mauritius has largely been shielded from the wrath of the virus.

Interestingly, however, a disproportionate number of those in attendance were Creole or Chinese Mauritians... an interesting demographic for an event such as this one.

more pictures on flickr


Labels: ,