Send As SMS

« Home | Press Release for Rainbow Pride Mauritius 2007 » | On ChouChou, and other vegetables » | More Photos from the Intl. AIDS Candelight Vigil » | updates from May » | and the baby makes eight » | la fin de la semaine » | More on the perils of being a black woman in Mauri... » | Nothing like being assaulted on a Tuesday evening... » | nou pays, nou fierté » | february 16th & the walk to ganga talo »

midweek updates

Rainbow Pride 2007 is in full force. The first-ever Indian Ocean LBGT Film Fest began on Monday, to a packed house. Over 90 people were in attendance, and after viewing a series of short films, a group of 20 of us went out to eat at King Dragon in Quatre Bornes.

One of the filmmakers whose work we have been screening is actually visiting the Island for the week. His name is Paul Lee, and he is a much lauded filmmaker from Toronto, Canada. The two of us have done some bonding over our shared geographic origins, as well as our affection for New Haven. Apparently, he considered going to Yale for a Ph.D in Anthropology in 2002, but opted to stay in Canada instead.

In other news, my project has recently seen a real flurry of activity. This past weekend, I conducted my first ever interviews with migrant workers. In addition, I just assembled a multi-lingual research team, and hope to spend the entirety of June and July administering surveys to and conducting focus groups with shopfloor workers. This is a departure from the first half of my project, which polled the experiences of company owners. Thus, suffice it to say, I am really excited.

Last but no leased, I am pleased to announce that I just posted 100 new photos at my photoblog on flickr! These pictures mark my first real foray into street photography since coming to Mauritius. I'm rather happy with the outcome. Shot some video as well, but still devising a way to post it.

More photos here...Enjoy.

Labels: , ,