Send As SMS

« Home | nou pays, nou fierté » | february 16th & the walk to ganga talo » | maha shivaratree & the longest ride home ever » | in memoriam » | mauritius v.s my computer, round 3 » | kitsch goes gay » | research successes » | comedy of (methodological) errors » | police conduct & sex crimes » | Imperfect Paradise »

Nothing like being assaulted on a Tuesday evening...

Around 9pm as I was walking home, a man on a bicycle rode up beside me and started making unwanted advances. He was Indian, in his 20s, medium-height and slight-build, and spoke only Creole.

I tried to ditch this man several ways... including saying goodnight, turning off the street, and quickening my pace, but to no avail. The man kept following me and asking me to invite him come over, and when I said no, he got physical and used his bicycle to try and pin me against a row of bushes. When I escaped this trap and began to run, he grabbed the drawstring of my hoodie which allowed him to effectively begin chocking me. While he had me by the neck and collar, he balanced his bicycle against his torso and used his other hand to grope me, grab my privates and tear at my clothes.

Needless to say, I fought back like hell and used tactics as various as flinging an entire bottle of water in his face, screaming and shouting "help" "emergency" in French and English (pointedly, no one came out of their houses), and back pedaling at full speed whenever I was able to disorient him.

After my assailant managed to grab me by the neck for a third time, I escaped by clawing him in the eyes and running to the first lit house that I came across. It ended up being he home of a Muslim family, and no less than 6 members of the family came out to check on me, including a girl in her teens and a women in her 60s. They sat me down and called the police, who came by shortly after and drove me home at my request.

I hate that for every pleasant day I spend in Mauritius, something like this happens to remind me that I'm not safe here, that I cannot feel at ease as a woman... never mind as a black woman. Va te faire foutre, Ile Maurice, for denying me even basic peace of mind.

However, I must extend a big thank you to Erica C, for reminding me of my middle school glory days and the time I beat up a certain locker room menace. I honestly think you helped me drum up the confidence I need to kick my would-be rapist's sorry ass.

Going to the precinct tomorrow to file Police Case Number 3. Anyone else think that this is getting a little bit redundant?

Labels: , ,