Send As SMS

« Home | les six chats de trianon deux » | Thanksgiving at the Ambassadors » | Elvis Does Mauritius » | East & West Africa v.s. Far East Africa » | Days One & Two » | Welcome to the Electric Fence E-Zine! »

Indecent Exposures and Other Firsts

Two months in Mauritius and only 5 posts to show for... Aiy-yo! Well, in an effort to pick up the slack, here is a hasty reflection on some of my Mauritian firsts..


  • First time being a minority in a non-black and white society/ Living in an African country where people simply opt out of being called African
    Although it's been an adjustment, I am living and learning a lot from the experience.


  • First time having a fruit tree smack-dab in the middle of my front yard As far as fruit trees are concerned, it's pretty hard to go wrong with a lychee tree. Big step up from the crab apple trees indigenous to Buffalo.

  • First time celebrating Divali.
    [With pictures as evidence.]


    too legit, too legit too quick.


  • First time paying $150 a month for rent
    Trianon Deux ..what what! Beautiful 3-bedroom house at a steal. Add to that my first genuinely wonderful landlord. We're talking so nice that he offered my roommate and I a free week at his beach front bungalow, totally unsolicited.

  • First time rooming with newlyweds.
    You heard me right. For my first month in Mauritius, my roommates were Chris and Mikayla.. Fulbrighters, newlyweds and truly awesome people.

  • First time living with six cats
    See previous post :)

  • First time ever playing a drinking game
    How I managed to reach the age of 22 and spend four years at Yale without indulging remains a mystery to me. Who knew that rum and coke and cards went together so well?


  • First-time ever having a blast at a straight club
    Truly unprecedented...guess it depends on the company you keep.




  • First-ever indecent exposure at a club
    Yes, you heard me right. Friday night, out of nowhere, the man I was dancing with decided to drop his trousers in the middle of the club and pull out his whatnot. The experience would have been traumatizing if he hadn't been so small that I could wrestle him to the ground in a New York Minute. Nonetheless, the experience was totally uncalled for, and if I ever run into this loser again, I'm going to read off the following letter.

    Dear Vijay,
    I don't care if you were completement bourré (i.e. drunk out of your skull).. Take a word of advice and keep your wang in your pants next time you're dancing at the club. Taking such measures will (A) prevent giggling and subsequent embarrassment (look down, or refer to BBC News: Condoms made according to international sizes are too big for Indian men to see what I'm talking about)
    and (B) ensure that you do not suffer a swift kick to the crotch that subsequently renders you sterile.

    Signed,
    Your Overly-indulgent Dance Partner who Restrained Herself from Kicking You in the Crotch

    p.s. No offense intended to others. First off, I reserve penis jokes for men who are arrogant enough to whip it out in public. Sorry, you're just asking for it. Secondly, I think that the BBC should be smacked for publishing an article this shoddy.. seriously. Thirdly (shout out to Mo :).. who cares about genitals?

  • First-ever outdoor all night concert
    International Creole Language and Culture Festival.. simply amazing. No pictures, however, because I lost my memory card that night:/

  • First time being truly in awe of nature.



  • First time living 22 hours and two oceans away from home.
    Heursement, jusqu'ici, tout va bien.. (Happily, so far so good)

Maybe he whipped it out because he knew that girls like guys who can make them laugh?
har har

Post a Comment